There are a wide variety of buildings used for business purposes and many are well-suited for rooftop solar installations. The ideal candidates for solar installations typically are large industrial warehouses with low slope roof systems and few shading obstructions.
Owners of these buildings who use a qualified contractor to install solar can realize a high return on investment, especially in the growing number of states with good solar incentives.
Besides the strong return on investment are many other advantages;
- The federal government provides a 30% cash grant or investment tax credit (ITC) on the cost of a solar installation.
- Under the federal Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System (MACRS) businesses may recover their solar investment through depreciation deductions.
- Many states, utilities and local governments offer incentives for solar installations. See the dsireusa.org website to research incentives available in your market.
- Your solar generated electricity may provide a hedge against future electricity rate increases. It will generate electricity during peak periods of electricity demand.
- Your building may be more valuable to prospective buyers or tenants. Your solar investment makes a strong public statement to your customers, employees and the community.
- Your solar array will help lower carbon dioxide emissions.